Palomar Observatory has revealed the vastness and complexity of the universe and even contributed to Pluto's demotion as a planet.
Explore the Cosmos
This travel program has been postponed. More details will be available soon.
Palomar Observatory has revealed the vastness and complexity of the universe, and even contributed to Pluto's demotion as a planet.
What's next for this famed observatory?
Explore how new and automated tools on the Hale, Samuel Oschin, and 60-inch telescopes are peering into the cosmos with even greater clarity to advance our understanding of exoplanets, supernovae, and other celestial objects. Get a behind-the-scenes tour of the Caltech-operated observatory with director Jonas Zmuidzinas, former director Shrinivas Kulkarni, and deputy director Andrew Boden.
While away from the observatory, enjoy lodging at Ponte Vineyard Inn, which provides relaxing views of mature vineyards and rolling hills. Ponte Vineyard is in the heart of Temecula Valley's wine country where you can easily access the area's other renowned wineries and tasting rooms. Listed as one of the 10 best wine travel destinations in 2019 by Wine Enthusiast Magazine, the Temecula Valley produces a variety of wines that will delight the most serious oenophiles.
- Hotel check-in at 2 p.m.
- Wine tasting
- Reception, dinner, and presentation from Professor Zmuidzinas
- Exclusive private tours of Palomar Observatory, including:
- Tour of the 48-inch Samuel Oschin Telescope
- Lunch outside at Oschin Telescope
- TED-style talks
- Tour of Palomar Museum and gift shop
- Reception-style dinner with cocktails
- Tour of the 200-inch Hale Telescope and date room visit with onsite Caltech astronomer
- Enjoy sunset views and star-gazing from this historic observatory.
- Champagne brunch at hotel and presentation by Professor Kulkarni
- $1,750 per person based on double occupancy
- $1,850 per person single occupancy
Have additional questions? Contact Nicola Wilkins-Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org or (626) 395-6045.
For more information on how to join the Associates, please visit our membership page.